10 Questions 2 – Gary Beck – Technoscene Exclusive Interview
10 Questions 2 – Gary Beck – Technoscene Interview
Prolific Scottish producer Gary Beck celebrates a decade of his label BEK Audio with a 2 part compilation series featuring some fresh unheard releases & a remix from a cast of techno heavyweights. we caught up with Gary and his team recently and asked our 10 Questions 2:
01. Hello Gary, welcome to Techno Scene! Can you tell us more about your music history, do you have formal training, maybe something many people don’t know about you?
Music has always been around my family. My Mum used to bring home Carl Cox tapes while I was playing trumpet in the school Orchestra!
I never went to any college to learn about producing electronic music. I just gathered together some hardware and learned as I went along.
02. How did you get into the techno scene and what are your first memories of techno music?
My mum’s tapes gave me an early education, however, it was after my first visit to Glasgow’s Arches where the interest really started to develop. It was John Digweed who was playing and I was completely blown away. I felt like I had found my calling in some way! So I ended up getting a job behind the bar there and learn as much as I could. It snowballed from there and I saved up money for equipment until I finally had some kind of little studio set up. I became obsessed!
03. Where do you see the techno scene in 10 years? And how do you see yourself in 10 years within the scene?
It will still be around. I think life without Techno would be unimaginable, however, I would like to see it go back into the dark dirty clubs. So many great venues are closing seem to be closing down now. The internet has made everything so accessible. People can sit with friends in their house tuning into a Boiler room instead of going out. Also, the authorities need to give some cities a break with so many rules and reservations.
I’ll still be around so long as I have the passion, which will hopefully never leave me.
04. Where do you most enjoying playing? Crowdy festival places or more intimate clubs?
I love playing everywhere, but my preference is small, dark clubs. Complete sweatboxes. Nothing beats that vibe.
05. Do you prefer to play live/DJ or is it all about music production?
I DJ playing mostly my own material.
06. Tell us your most proud moment in your career to date?
Probably my Dad dancing behind me in Crobar Buenos Aires to 2000 people. He had never seen me play before so I decided to fly him along with me. I moment I’ll never forget. Having Pete Tong ask me to do an Essential Mix was crazy too, however that came far too early into my career.
07. What music/genres do you listen to when you’re at home?
A bit of everything, Celtic music to Jazz.
08. What parties and festivals should we not miss this year (2019)?
Verknipt ADE will be special as always. Also my 10-year BEK label party in Glasgow with Luke Slater on the 30th August.
09. Do you have any does or don’ts regarding tips to upcoming talents?
Don’t copy music from those big popular labels, create your own vibe and ideas.
10. Can you tell us more about your plans for the coming 12 Months?
I have a BEK 10 year compilation out today which features a collaboration with DJ Rush on there. I also have music under my other name ‘Sosak’ coming out on London label ‘Prodigal Son’.
I’ll be at ADE this year playing Verknipt, along with Australian dates in Melbourne this September.
1. DJ Rush and GaryBeck – Talkers
2. Insolate – HeSaid, SheSaid
3. JX-216 – XINGU (SlamRemix)
4. Mark Broom – RedLine
5. Sosak – Empire
To connect with Gary Beck via social media: https://facebook.com/garybeckmusic/
For more 10 Questions 2 visit:https://technoscene.eu/10questions2/
- Previous Sven Vath Presents Cocoon 20 years in Ibiza @ Amnesia
- Next CJ Bolland and The Advent – Camargue – Drumcode – Recommended Techno